The WatershedNorwalk River Watershed Association
The Norwalk River Watershed …
- Covers approximately 40,000 acres.
- Spans seven townships in CT and NY.
- Length 20 miles, elevation drop 962 ft.
- Watershed population: 65,587 people (1990 census).
- Major tributaries: Silvermine River, Comstock Brook.
- Public reservoirs on upper Silvermine & Comstock.
- Good recreational fishing at many sites.
- Major oyster beds at mouth, in Long Island Sound.
- Important transportation corridor (US Rte. 7).
- Two-thirds of the households in the watershed — mostly within the urban and village districts — obtain their water from public water supply systems. Most of the rest get their water from private drilled wells, and a small number use private dug wells.
- Sewage disposal is predominantly by public sewage systems in the urban areas and by private septic systems in the more rural and suburban areas.
Map courtesy of The Norwalk River Watershed Initiative